Wednesday, July 7, 2021

Cog train up Mt. Washington NH

Today was the day! Wednesday we headed over to NH to ride the Cog coal/steam train up the mountain. I had never been up the mountain and when I mentioned the trains to Aidan - it was a done deal. I asked my parents and since it was a day trip- they decided to go. Neither had been up before. My sister found out and decided her and her hubby would go too... then their son added to the mix as well. 



This is the train that pulled us up the mountain today.




Looking out the front as we went up the mountain.







We reached the top! 


This is the view that could happen.... if the mountain is not in the clouds at the top.



Today - around 4PM it was very cloudy with zero visibility. 48 with 40MPH winds making it feel like the 30's. That wind can really move you!



The kids and I at the summit. Photo taken by my nephew Charlie.
 

6 comments:

a good yarn said...

Just recently watched a video about this very train and mountain! What a fantastic trip.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

isn't that something that you all hadn't been on the train when so close to the area! it is always so cold at the top of the mountain isn't it - we went up to the top many years ago when we had went out to that area on a vacation - must have been in the very early 90's and I remember I was so glad I had a jacket with me it had dropped into the 30's!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That looks like a really fun thing to do, lots of history and views. Except at the top - wow, what a change! It'll be a good memory for your kids!

Julierose said...

Super photo with the sign...that's a memory keeper one!! Glad you are doing fun stuff. Hugs, Julierose

The Joyful Quilter said...

Hoping everyone enjoyed the day, Deb. Can't believe you needed winter gear at the top of the mountain!!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

What a fun trip. Hubby and I took a train ride in the valley years ago and it was a delight. I would love to take one into the mountains . Sounds like a fabulous day.