Sunday, October 23, 2022

Slow Stitching Sunday

 It was a nice and relaxing day Saturday with no running for me! I did not even get near my car for once and it was oh so nice. Greg took Emily to horses, so I got to relax and play in the sewing room, then watched the F1 practice and qualifying with Aidan.



I have not made much progress on hand quilting the bear paw but hopefully it will move along this week a bit each night.


I have been working on hand stitching the binding on the Crossed Canoe and should get this finished up later today during the race.


I got the Row House sew along runner at Accuquilt completed yesterday. I pulled all from the stash - a Kansas Trouble line, then a brown print for the ground and a mottle sage I had for the border. I 'might' hand quilt this rather than machine quilt it. We will see. I need to pull a backing and batting for it and trim it up a bit and then I'll decided. It might just want to get finished. 

Linking up with the Slow Sunday Stitchers
 
As promised here are the sad looking girls who are in various processes of their yearly molting. They tend to molt in the fall and their feathers fall out so new ones come in. They tend to not lay eggs while they are molting, and their crowns change from a bright red to a dull red. Once they change back to bright red, they will be laying eggs again. 

These are the 5 girls. All the reds have passed on, which is a bummer as they were great layers being part Rhode Island Red and Rhode Island White mix.
The 3 Barred Rock or Plymouth Rock's are the black and white ones. Myrtle, Maple and DC - Daisy Chickalotta. The top brown with a beard is Poppy an Americana and she lay's my pretty green eggs. Rosie is also an Americana, and she lays small white eggs. From what I can tell, she is not molting as she has all her feathers. One of the Rocks is mostly through her molt as she has all her tail feathers back - I think that is Myrtle. She doesn't have a bright crown yet though so no eggs.


You can see the fluff feathers on Poppy, those will fall off and her tail feathers have mostly fallen out. 


A better shot with just 1 tail feather for Poppy and DC has bald spots on her back end and is missing tail feathers.... but the one on the left has her tail feathers all grown in.

I mentioned Emily made some Molt muffins for the chickens. It is a high protein snack that helps them to grow those new feathers but must be given in moderation. They get 1-2 muffins to split between them each day. She made 2 pans (24) muffins so it should last us through the molt. 

I promised Chicken Tikka Masala for the boy for dinner tonight, so I need to grab the chicken and prep it with the yogurt and spices for marinating in the fridge today.  Have a great Sunday.

6 comments:

Julierose said...

The row houses came out beautifully--so cute--it looks like it would be a fun hand quilting project..
We are all set up for watching the Grand Prix ; I made chicken soup this morning so dinner is D O N E !!;)))
I hope to finish the very last block on my hand quilting today...
Hugs, Julierose

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Your Bear Paw is looking fabulous. So pretty in blue and I just adore your Crossed Canoes. That pattern is on my to do list one day. I enjoy seeing photos of your sweet hens. They are so pretty. Have a great week.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

You're really close to a finish on the Crossed Canoes! I love the Row House runner, too - that went together quickly. Your chickens are fascinating to this city girl! Do they get cold during molting season?

Jenny said...

I do like your houses and tree row, very nice indeed. Thanks for the info of hens in moult, all new to me.

CathieJ said...

I love that house table runner. Crossed canoes looks great. I didn't know that chickens molt or that they don't lay eggs while doing so. I learned something new today. I hope you have a great week.

Little Penpen said...

Adorable chickens! My dad has chickens and we are blessed with free eggs. Your crossed canoe is so pretty and colorful. You've got some great projects going!