Sunday, January 5, 2014

Slow Stitch Sunday 2014

Today I've picked up an oldie but a goodie. The fireworks quilt has come out to play again and this year he will get finished. There, I've said it. I had it out the other day and while I was looking at this block and trying to figure out what other quilting to put in there (while Miss Emily was trying to get under it since it is 'comfy' - a 40x40 quilt in a hoop, mind you!) I saw my tervis water glass. Yes, inspiration does strike in the most strange ways. Those white blocks will be hand quilted circles in there. I just drew around it with a pencil and hopefully it will erase or wash out ok. I'll be smart and use the quilt marking pencils for the next one. That should help me get through the five blocks like this. Then it will be back to square one for the other four - but I think I have some notes written down somewhere on ideas for those blocks. Multiple color thread and fireworks seem to ring a bell.


Head on over to Kathy's Quilts and see what other lovely projects are being worked on. I do have to thank her - since she was my inspiration to try hand quilting and hand work and I have been so lucky to love it. It is so nice to use that 'wasted' time and create some beautiful things.

12 comments:

soscrappy said...

It is so sweet that Emily already wants to use your quilt. Hopefully she will avoid the needle!

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

If you mark lightly, the pencil markings should wash out. Interesting the things we get inspiration from, isn't it?

Ellen said...

Looking forward to seeing your progress on this one. It is just wonderful when our quilts are appreciated!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

I have never had a problem with a HB pencil or cheap mechanical pencil washing out. Love that you took inspiration from something nearby! The circles should soften all those straight lines, sounds perfect!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Pretty ! : ) Enjoy your quilting! :)

canuckquilter said...

I take the inspiration whenever or wherever it strikes. I'm sure the pencil will come out finr. I have had better luck with pencil and gently erasing after I quilt than with my quit marking tools.

Quilter Kathy said...

I'm so happy that you are enjoying your stitching... you are making amazing quilts! Love the circle idea!
Thanks for linking up to Slow Sunday Stitching!

genie said...

Love the idea of a Fireworks quilt. Your hand quilting on the white is going to be so nice. Keep us posted on your progress.

Cathy said...

I've found the comments about what everyone uses to mark quilts most interesting. Everyone doing the hand quilting has inspired me to try to pick it up again.

Sharon said...

Can't wait to see how your quilt turns out!

Cindy Nielsen said...

This looks like it will be a wonderful project for slow stitching. Keep up the good work.

Denise :) said...

I love it ... "and this year he will get finished"!! That's how I feel about at least two of my UFOs! THIS is the year!! It's a great looking piece -- you'll be happy to have it finished, I'm sure!! :)