Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Tiny Tuesday for 2014

It is a new year and after having a couple of months off from the midget blocks, I really miss having a regular 'Tuesday' post. I've been looking through my quilting library and decided to work through the Civil War Love Letters book by Rosemary Young.

This contains letters from soldiers with blocks that seem to fit the letter. Each block in the book will finish at 6 inches. There are no patterns in this book - just a picture of the finished block. I figure it is time for me to start working on drafting things in preparation for a Dear Jane sometime in the far off future. Some blocks I will piece by machine and some by hand. The goal is to work on one or two a week all year and see if I can get all 121 blocks done by December 31, 2014. Anyone want to join me?

This should be a nice use of 2.5 inch strips.... of which I have a nice Jelly Roll to use. I purchased this and a 10 inch stack from Connecting Threads sometime in the last year or two of the line called American Celebration. I hope I have enough to work through these 121 blocks but if not I'm sure I can find something in the stash that will work as a fill in. I noticed there are a few of the mottled solids and star collection prints in there so I can always fill in with those. I'm planning this as a red,cream and blue quilt that when finished will probably be donated to QOV. So nice to have a plan ahead of time for a quilt - although life does tend to throw some curve balls in and things sometimes change.

My first block is called Enthusiasm. I found it so helpful to use my flying geese ruler to cut my HST units to make my 2.5 inch HST units in this block. Add five 2.5 inch squares and block one is completed.






6 comments:

scraphappy said...

What a great project for the new year. I'm working on 6 inch blocks as well, but mine are (of course) rainbow colors. It has been a really fun size and works so well with 2.5, 2 and 1.5 inch strips. Enjoy!

Ellen said...

Really cute block - I would love to join in but I don't have the book.

Moneik said...

I plan to do the Sylvia's Bridal Sampler some day, but for now I am content to finish up a bunch of quilts I have in progress. I don't do real well with BOW/M projects.

Kristie said...

I love that quilt! I have had mine completely pieced for years and still need to add the borders, which I have...just haven't sewn them on. Quilting it is one of my goals for the year. I did mine in CW pinks and browns. I think R/W/C would look great! Do you have EQ? If so, you can buy the cd and print them off. That's what I did and paper pieced every one of the blocks, but then again I love paper piecing. I have the Civil War Diary blocks started. I have 85 of the 121 finished.
Kristie

canuckquilter said...

Have fun with your new Tuesday project. Always good to have a plan. I need to try one sometime :)

Amy said...

Hey girl! I, too, have been revisiting my Midget files and pictures trying to build up the inspiration to get back on the Midget Wagon! I will try. I will try. BUT I may also have another HUGE iron heading to the fire; details being worked out.