Saturday, December 11, 2021

Saturday....

I had posted these guys earlier this week. I caught this one in the morning after dropping off the kids to school and when I went out in the afternoon to get them it had turned into the second photo - in it's chrysalis! This will be a monarch butterfly when it emerges from it's cocoon. 


This morning Emily and I headed to our local girl scout camp for a Pioneer Holiday Feast. It was just Emily and I from our troop and a total of 10 girls there. The silver circle put on this event and it was great! The girls churned butter, made a cranberry apple relish, soda bread, chicken and dumplings and two deserts - cherry, apple dump cake and a gingerbread apple dessert. All cooking was done with fire! The old fire cook stove for the bread, a fire in the hearth for the chicken and dumpling and the outside coal fire for the dutch oven baking of the deserts. We all sat down to eat at the end. It was pretty good! A 25 minute hike back to the car and a 20 minute ride home finished up our morning! I think the bread and butter was my favorite part!
The view from Homestead out onto the Lake.

Found this hanging in the cabin =)

This quilt was on the little bed in there.

apple and cheery dump cake and a gingerbread apple cake.




The table set for all of us!

I am caught up on my Hexagons QAYG through the end of November! That is one per day all year. I did fall a little behind so I need to prep black and grey for this month. I seem to have a good variety of those colors for some reason....most are in sets of 4. I do have a few 'extras' from the months that are not divisible by 4. We will see how big it is once I start putting it together as to if I just combine different colors or just add the needed hexagons to get groups of 4. Linking up with the RSC.





 

5 comments:

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Thanks for this lovely post, there is so much to enjoy! I am amazed at how well the girl scouts did at cooking over a fire, everything looks wonderful. (I don't think I would do nearly as well.) Your QAYG hexies are looking great, and to top it all off you caught a photo of a monarch caterpillar and its chrysalis!

Julierose said...

What a lovely sounding day you and Emily had...
Your hexagons are so pretty...nice work on these....
hugs, Julierose

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

So cool to see the caterpillar in his J shape and then the chrysalis soon after! That process always seems sort of miraculous to me. Sounds like a fun day with the Girl Scouts, too, and your hexies are looking great! That's going to be such a neat quilt!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

25 minute hike back to the cars doesn't sound good if you had to carry all those supplies including the dutch ovens in with you! But it does sound like fun - I love using a dutch oven and cooking over the coals when we travel.

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a fun experience for Emily (and you, as well.) Catch up on that quilt quick, Deb! I'm looking forward to seeing how it will go together.