Monday, January 16, 2023

Breadmaking and books

 I tried a new multigrain bread recipe yesterday and it came out wonderfully! Very yummy and used up some grains we had in the house that I didn't know how to use! We have a 48 ounce can of 6 grain rolled cereal. It contains red wheat, rye, oats, barley, triticale and white wheat. I used 1/2 a cup of it along with 4 cups of flour to make this bread. I'll have to try it as a hot cereal and see how it is.

Sorry, we kinda cut into it before I got a photo! This is my second slice =) 


I was not ready in time for the clean out the crisper spring minestrone soup I made for lunch Sunday. Instead of butternut squash in the autumn recipe, I used zucchini, so I call it a spring soup. I have my lunches for the week and I'll make another batch of this bread mid week or when it is close to being gone. It will be interesting to see if the kids will eat it. They are a wee bit picky! I just need to remember to use the proofing button on the oven for the rising.

I've listened to a few audiobooks the last week or two. I listen to them in the car while driving to get the kids or while waiting. If the book is really good, I have my ear buds in listening while I make dinner and sometimes while stitching at night. I usually have it playing on my phone while quilting as well. 

I started off the year with 'The Last Thing He Told Me' by Laura Dave. This was a really good book. I didn't want to stop listening to it and finished it in 2 days! 



I have been listening to the coffeehouse mystery series by Cleo Coyle. I read Shot in the Dark and currently am halfway through Dead Cold Brew.  




I listened to Death Below Stairs by Jennifer Ashley - the Kat Holloway series. I love this series and wish they had more books available on my Libby app. I might have to switch to another audio app to 'read' the newer books in the series. This one is located in historical England.


Another author is Anna Lee Huber - who has a mystery series in England featuring Verity Kent, around the end of the first world war. 'This Side of Murder' was the first book and 'Treacherous is the Night' is the second book. I am waiting for the 3rd book to become available. 
The kids noted that I tend to call the dog 'laddie' when I am listening to the british books! 


4 comments:

Julierose said...

That bread looks really yummy...I haven't listened to audio books as yet. I am just learning the pattern for my crochet (new to me) pattern and since I am new to crochet I have to concentrate!! Hugs, Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

thanks for the list of books. I go through phases of listening to books/vs kindle - I really need to get a notebook to keep track and write titles down

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Ooh, your bread looks yummy! I'm not sure anyone else in my family would like it either, but I would. Lots of good book recommendations, too. I loved The Last Thing He Told Me, but haven't read any of the others. I'll have to look for them!

a good yarn said...

That loaf looks delicious!