Friday, January 13, 2023

RSC in blues

 I got a little time to sew this week! I have seen lots of pretty split nine patch blocks over the years and decided to make some this year. I think I'll dig a little farther into the blue box and make some more of these.


I sewed up the kites from last week and might make a couple more of these as well. I do love how easy these are to make with the dies.


I have had these extra quarter square triangles leftover from the Sweet Confetti blocks just sitting around and waiting in a basket next to my sewing machine. I was able to use some 2 inch white strips to make the flying geese wings with my ruler. I sewed these together, but I might take them apart and pop them into groups of 2 instead and see what will happen to them once all of them are sewn into geese. I'm thinking a nice little wall hanging or some placemats?


Linking up with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge on Saturday.


22 comments:

Julierose said...

Lovely blue blocks for RSC Deb;))) I really like those split 9-patches...so pretty
It has been gray, raw and rainy here today--AGAIN!!
And tomorrow is predicted to be the same...
Meanshile...my daughter chose a good week to vacation in the Caribbean...she's been sending me photos of her swimming in the pool and ocean and wearing shorts and sleeveless tees--NOT FAIR!! Seriously, I am happy for her---she works two jobs and is a hard worker...
Hugs, Julierose

Astrid said...

Pretty blues. Love the blocks.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

you are well on your way to pretty blues

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Oh those bright beautiful blues. Love the kite blocks. Happy quilting.

Janice said...

Looking good. I’ve started making split nine patches for RSC as well. A quick effective block.

a good yarn said...

Really nice blocks. A split nine patch has been on the wish list for years. Maybe after all my WIPs are finished.

Ray and Jeanne said...

Love the blues! Those are neat split 9-patch blocks. I like the diamond layout. ~Jeanne

Sara said...

Lovely scrappy block choices. The split 9-patch blocks are really fun looking.

Ivani said...

You have pretty blue scraps to play. Your blocks are beautiful. Love the Split Nine Patch ones. Well done, Deb.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

I really like those split 9 patches!!! Blues are such a soothing color! Have a great weekend! Hugs

Katie Z. said...

Lovely blocks!

Cathy said...

Super blocks! I’m doing those same Split Nines again this year too! Great minds…. LOL

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Great blocks, Deb! I like your Split 9s with the center as a square rather than an HST - I made mine with a center HST. Now I'm rethinking that!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Nice work using up some BLUE scraps, Deb! I'm a big fan of the Split 9-Patch block. One of these days, it will feature in my own RSC sewing.

Maggie said...

The split nine patches is fun to make and a great way to use up scraps. You just keep on making blocks, before you know it you have enough to make a king size quilt.

Char said...

Love those split nine patch blocks!

maggie fellow said...

split 9 patch is a great idea for rsc

grammajudyb said...

So many pretty blues! Love all three block choices!

Jenny said...

So many pretty blue blicks for RSC. I havent yet started this year because I'm away having fun on our caravan holiday. I'm starting to miss my sewing machine!

Chantal said...

Well done. ;^)

Lin said...

Nice blues - I love the split 9 patch. xx

scraphappy said...

I am seeing lots of split nine patches this year. So many great ways to set it. Hard to go wrong with a blue flying geese placemat. I am sure they will be put to good use somewhere.