Sunday, January 15, 2023

Slow Sunday Snowmen

It is a very chilly start to the morning here in Florida. Both cats were snuggling up around my stomach. Yesterday was a hip day! It was 29 degrees F when I got up this morning. I forgot to bring in the herbs. Oops. The thyme will come back but the basil and parsley are gone. One more day of freezing temps overnight before we warm up to the 80's by mid week.

I finally finished the knitted dish cloth. Yes, it looks wonky, and you can tell where I had the needles poked through. It will be washing dishes... so it really does not matter how it looks! 


I am going to try and get out of my comfort zone and crochet a few of these this year. I am thinking trying one new pattern each month. I have a pretty skein of green to try this Farm House Washcloth by Mama in a Stitch. She calls this a crocheted spider stitch.


 I finished off the first Frosty McChill offered for free by Melisa at Pinker and Punkin Quilting. He is so darn cute! I will start stitching on the second one today.

Yesterday was a sit and do not much of anything day! I took Emily to horses and I had plans to prep and pin my Hoarfrost quilt for quilting. Somehow, I ended up in my recliner with a dog holding me down (keeping me warm) for most of the afternoon! It was chilly.... the car said 48 degrees at 12:30 after horses! Grandma is picking up the kids today and then taking them to see the new Avatar movie that is out. I asked if they had seen the first one.... nope! Emily watched it Saturday after lunch in her room on her phone with Disney +. Silly girl came out and asked if I wanted to watch a good but long movie. Sure... she put it on and I asked her to let her brother know. He came out of his room and watched it with me. 2h41 minutes later - a really good movie! He then put on a F1 race from the 2021 season. It was at Sochi where Hamilton won his 100th race!  Teenagers - occasionally come out of their rooms to interact with the rest of the family!

Today, I plan to try a new bread recipe. Hubby had purchased some staples years ago from a long term storage type company. I took an inventory of the boxes of #10 cans a few weeks ago. I have used some of them. The cornmeal is used when I make cornbread. I have gone through the rolled oats and white rice. I was surprised there was one more rice can in there! I pulled the pinto beans and tried them in my insta pot. They turned out pretty good. Can't say I have ever had pinto beans before .... other than already prepped as refried beans! I tossed the black beans. They had been opened for a long time and did not soften when cooked. I have an unopened can of 16 beans... that was good with soups. I went through the other can already. I guess I had 2 cans of that. This one is unopened. We have ground some wheat to make flour. I found some 'rolled' 6 and 9 grain cracked cereals. I am going to pull the 6 grain one and try making this bread today. We will see how it turns out!

 I asked Emily to help plan the meals this week since no one ate what I cooked last week! They make their own things! Sigh. Those pinto beans made into a version of refried beans were ok with my taco meat and salads during the week. This is what she came up with.

Monday is steaks on the grill with grilled veggies. I pulled steak from the freezer yesterday so it would be thawed. It was in the Zero freeze one. Aidan will be my griller.

Tuesday when the kids are back to school, it will be chicken enchillada's and rice. This will use the sour cream that needs to be used!

Wednesday is 'Emily's Favorite' - which is a roasted veggie pasta with italian sausage. We roast zucchini, mushrooms, peppers and onion in the oven at 400 for 30 minutes, turning halfway.

Thursday will be meatloaf and potato and a veggie. Unless there are lots of leftovers! 

Fridays tend to be pizza. 

I'll pop out and grab the veggies at Aldi's later today or tomorrow. Since we are all off work - I am hoping to get Hoarfrost pinned today and machine quilting tomorrow. We will see how that goes!

Linking up with Kathy and the other Slow Stitchers.

7 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I can just never plan my meals out so far in advance you seem to really go with it and that is good - have fun stitching and hope your weather warms up

CathieJ said...

I have never been good at planning meals. I buy the ingredients with the best of intentions and then don't feel like making what I planned. I really don't like to cook all that much. I hope you get Hoarfrost pinned. Stay warm.

Astrid said...

Never thought it goes that cold in FL! Do you have any heating system? The snowman is so cute and I like your dish cloth. Good luck on crocheting. That's never been my thing, I prefer knitting. The wash cloth pattern looks nice.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your Frosty is cute in blue! They are definitely a fun project to stitch on. We loved the first Avatar movie, but haven't seen the second one yet. I'll be curious to hear what the kids think!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Brr! That is cold . I am sure you are looking forward to getting back to the warm weather. Your Frosty looks absolutely adorable. I love him in blue. Thank you so much for stitching him. I hope your bread comes out yummy. I will be over Wednesday for the roasted veggie pasta. Lol. Sounds delicious!!!! Have a great week Deb.

Karrin Hurd said...

Boy you must be cold. One day last week I just sat around wrapped up in a lap quilt and read all day. Looks like you have some great meals planned out!

Little Penpen said...

Frosty is so cute. Don't you just love Melisa's designs? I sometimes menu plan, but it's just me and my husband, so sometimes it's whatever we can find. :)))