Sunday, January 1, 2023

Slow Sunday to start off 2023!

 I have been adding some slow stitches of hand quilting to the Bear Paw quilt this week. This is moving much slower than I imagined, but then again if you don't work on it, progress does not happen!

I'm shooting for some bit of hand work each day in 2023. It could be knitting, crochet, hand piecing, hand quilting, embroidery, counted cross stitch.... Wow - I have lots of options to choose from! There might be multiple options for each of these hand piecing choices. 

Last night I added a few rows of knitting to this dish cloth. This is my 'standard' pattern. I think I need to branch out this year and try a new pattern each month or quarter. I see lots of pretty crochet patterns online that I would love to try. I think this will be the year to try them. Hmmm. Something is a little off with this knitting project! Since it is just to clean my dishes, I'm going to leave it and continue on. I'm wondering if the girl picked it up and did a pearl row? We won't mention how long this has been sitting in a bag with a few rows added here and there every few months!

The house got switched last night from Christmas to snowmen. Yes, I live in Florida and yes, I still decorate January as snowmen! The Christmas tree just needs to get put into it's new bag and put away until the end of November. 

I plan on spending the day in my sewing room! It is the perfect way to start the new year. I have a quilt that needs machine quilting on my domestic sewing machine and another project that needs to get started and finished.



 I should pick up in there as it looks like a tornado went through .... but that will wait for Monday I think. Today is a play day and I plan to enjoy playing with my fabrics. A dog walk over at the trail head might happen as well. Lunch is leftover Chinese food from last night. I'll let one of the kids figure out dinner tonight. Emily does have a new chef knife to play with so she might be on tap to figure out dinner! Breakfast was mushroom, orange pepper and an egg with a slice of 5 grain bread. Maple - one of the 3 chickens finally started laying eggs again after a 5-6 week break to molt. We will see when the other 2 join in. I miss my green Poppy eggs. The price of eggs is crazy! I had not bought eggs in a couple of years and was surprised at the prices when I had to purchase some in December.

Poppy is our Americana and the other 2 are Barred Rock chickens  - the black and white ones.



A photo of our 65+ pound lap dog Bear. After 7 months, he is perfectly at home in his house with his new family. He figured out how to get up on my recliner a couple of weeks ago and it is now his favorite spot - as long as we put a quilt down on us for him to lay on! Such a quilt lover this boy is! He was holding Emily down in this photo!

Wishing you all a creative, happy and healthy 2023. Linking up with Kathy and the other Slow Stitchers. I hope to be slow stitching a binding this evening!




8 comments:

Julierose said...

My handwork for the day was a few rows on my purple facecloth...they are such a fun and east project.
I hope to do some more crumb quilting after I recuperate from our mid morning walk at a local baseball field...phew--that really was hard today...my back did not want to let go and cooperate...:(((

My next Fabric piece (#3-- after 2 journals) starts this coming Wednesday so I am looking forward to that. It will be a snippet roll on a large bobbin...I've never done one so it should be interesting and hopefully fun!!
As you say, lots of projects to choose from each day...hugs, Julierose

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Happy New Year, Deb! Playing in the sewing room sounds like the perfect way to spend the day! There's always something to be done in there. What size is your hoop for hand quilting? I think I need to finally break down and get one. It's so fun that Bear loves quilts (and laps!) Enjoy the day!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have barely done any sewing today - it is 66 degrees - outside things were demanded of me today to enjoy while it is there!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Happy New Year, Deb. Handwork each day is a great goal for the year.You should have no problem with all of the crafts that you enjoy. A day in the quilt room is a perfect way to begin the new year. and looks like you had an adorable helper. Have a great week.

Astrid said...

Not much handwork done here lately, except counted cross stitching a few weeks back. I have that, some knitting and crocheting I can work on, actually some UFO's. Cute kitty helping you? Happy quilting and handwork!

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Happy New Year and I have all the same options you have, just need to figure out what I will be prioritizing this year! Nothing like putting it off for a few more days! LOL. I love the quilt on your heading! Beautiful! Hugs

CathieJ said...

Happy New Year! I too have lots of different crafts to choose from to work on. Today was starting to organize my sewing area. I am just starting to take down the Christmas decor. The holiday dishes and linens are all away at least. I love your header photo. I adored that quilt as you were working on it. I like all the animal pics too.

Moneik said...

Sounds like a great day to play. I cleaned and organized on Monday. Now I can hopefully finish up a couple commissions and then be ready to sew on my own projects.