Sunday, April 9, 2023

Happy Easter

 I see lots of wild bunnies on my walks around the neighborhood. This one stayed still and the dog did not notice him and walked right by last week. 




We hosted my in-laws for Easter. I did a small ham with a brown sugar glaze, scalloped potato, prosciutto wrapped asparagus, green bean casserole and rolls. There were not many leftovers so they must have enjoyed it. Desert was half of Emily's red velvet birthday cake or chocolate cream pie. She turned 14 on Friday and made and decorated her own cake. It is very yummy.


The kids and Greg pitched in with cleaning up the house and the back patio just in case since the temps were heavenly in the upper 60's today. Quite a change from the close to 90's we have been having. After the grandparents headed home, the boys fixed the irrigation heads that the dog attacked last year. Now we can water the lawn again, since we have not had rain in forever and it is pretty crunchy. The boys headed to Lowes yesterday - Aidan DROVE - and picked up some flowers for the front triangle bed. It got weeded and planted this afternoon and looks a lot better.


 I need to grab some mulch to put down since I raked up all the old and got rid of it. Emily trimmed bushes and cleared out the back part of that bed and it looks a lot better now.
I have been working on hubby's quilt and unpicking the machine quilting I did on it about 14 or 15 years ago. I have 12 of the 35 blocks unpicked and I decided yesterday to hand quilt around the pattern in the block. I have 2 blocks hand quilted. Either the cat or the dog or both have managed to get teeth marks and punctures in the quilt on top of the thread pulling up. Repairs are being made as well. I reinforced the binding last week that was pulling apart. I have not been able to make great progress on this since every time I start working on unpicking, someone decided to jump up and be a lap dog!



The boy is watching a 2021 F1 race and I'm going to sit with my feet up and add some more hand quilting into this quilt. 


Linking up with the other slow Sunday Stitchers



6 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

sounds like you had a great dinner and desserts! lots of yard work = finally we are not to get much rain coming up for awhile - and sounds like you need some. Got the tomato plants in the ground here and berries are blossoming

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your Easter dinner sounds yummy! I'm just about to start ours and it's very similar - ham, scalloped potatoes, and asparagus, but no company. That's a beautiful quilt - apparently the animals like it, too! Good luck with fixing it up and re-quilting!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Sounds like a wonderful, Easter. We forgot to add the greenbean casserole. It is a favorite. Enjoy your evening quilting.

Julierose said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful Easter; I missed having our traditional ham this year as everyone opted for my DH's spaghetti sauce instead. I may scout out a small ham this week for the two of us...we like to use leftovers in omelets and grilled ham n'cheese sandwiches--ohhh I am getting hungry;)))
We are resting today and I finally got my hair cut--yay--no more straggly locks flying around I got a jaw-length bob..feels so free...hugs, Julierose
P.S. Happy Birthday to Emily, too --she is quite the baker;)))

Jenny said...

Unpicking, ugh! Your Easter meal sounds divine.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

As always Deb, read all your latest posts and so enjoyed them. Of course, not nice Emily was ill, but my, imagine she is 14 now! Time really does fly especially in your busy household. How grown up to make her own cake! She is learning lots from Mom! Sounds like a delicious Easter dinner too.