Saturday, April 29, 2023

Purple Scrap Challenge

 I posted a couple of these photo's in my last post, sorry!

The table scrap challenge this month was purple, and/or the letters Y and N. I managed to hit all three!

I made a little wall hanging - A Nosegay of Yo-Yo's!

I did a little reading up on how to make Yo-Yo's. I had never done them before! 
I cut out a few different size circles and hand stitched the 1/4 inch seam with some hand quilting thread and pulled them together to get little flowers and buds.





This is where I left it on Thursday. This afternoon, I got back into the sewing room and hand stitched the vase and flowers down.... then decided I needed more flowers and another stem. Wish I would have decided that before I stitched the vase down, but oh well. I made it work! A few more circles were cut out and stitched onto the top. Some walking foot quilting (which looks terrible in the photo but not as much while hanging on the wall above my sewing machine), and then I added the purple binding. My challenge quilt from the scraps on the cutting matt. 




I was a little worried we would get a day of rain, but it held off until just a few minutes ago. Emily got her riding lesson in this morning and had a treat of walking the horses around the property a bit at the end of their lesson. I actually got her to smile for a photo while sitting on Lance before they headed out to wander around for a bit on the horses.






Lance is a very tall horse, but he is a beauty.

Linking up with the RSC and the ABC Table Scrap Challenge 2023









7 comments:

Ivani said...

You did great with the yo-yos, Deb.It is always great to learn a new technique.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your nosegay turned out so cute! Did you like making the yo-yos? I took an applique class several years ago, and the teacher taught us to make circles by making yo-yos, but we used them smooth side up. Lance is a beautiful horse! It's neat that your girl feels comfortable on him!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

looks pretty wet - did the flooding ease up?

The Joyful Quilter said...

You created a lovely wall hanging for this month's challenge, Deb. Yo-yos and Nosegay complete with your PURPLE binding checked all the boxes. Thanks for pulling it together in your (minimal) free time!

Julierose said...

Really pretty nosegay of yo-yos in your pink vase--nice work. We are scheduled for heavy rains today--but so far just clouds...hugs, Julierose

Annie said...

Your yo-yos make such sweet flowers. I love that you have different sizes in your nosegay.

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Deb, what a cute mini. I've never made yo-yos either.