Sunday, April 23, 2023

Slow Sunday stitching.

 This was Emily yesterday riding Lance. They decided to change things up since she has been riding Marshmallow for a while. She used to ride Lance a couple of years ago so they got along great! He is a very tall horse.


I have been trying to make progress on hubby's quilt in the evenings, but this usually happens.....


Notice the quilting hoop with the dog on top of me and it? Yes, he does not want me to work on 'his' quilt! Hubby mentioned I might need to make a new one for him, since the dog seems to have claimed this one! Nope. He will have to work it out with the dog when it is done! There are 35 blocks that I had machine quilted about 15 years ago. The thread is looking horrible, so I am slowly pulling it out, one block at a time. I did decide to hand quilt them, so I am doing a little unpicking, and then a little stitching..... when the dog allows!


I have 8 of the blocks hand quilted - and I can tell I have not quilted regularly in a while since I am building that callus up on my push middle finger on my right hand. I don't use a thimble, never could get used to it, so I'm taking it slow to build it up again. I have 3-4 quilts in the hand quilting progress (bear paw, cat and mice, Frosty) so once that finger is back to 'production mode' I'll try and keep it that way with a little quilting each day. 
11 blocks have been unpicked and are ready for hand quilting. Which leaves 16 blocks left to unpick. I think I'll work on hand quilting a couple of blocks today. First, will be a quick trip to Lowes to get new seeds (we did not have luck with the old seeds we planted so will try again. The good news is the shade blocker is working great and Emily's pumpkin is starting to turn orange!). Then a quick stop at Aldi's since baby bella mushrooms are 99 cents this week! I see beef stroganoff in our future this week along with some santa fe rolls and we will try a Nigerian Jollof rice recipe Aidan found as well. 
Linking up with the Sunday Slow Stitchers.

4 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Oh that's funny, with the dog on top of your hoop! Is that his favorite toy, too? Sounds like your reworking of the quilting is progressing - I wouldn't want to go to all that work just to give the quilt to the dog either! Have a great Sunday, Deb!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

have you tried a stick on leather thimble like I do? I can't use the ones that go over the top of the finger

The Joyful Quilter said...

Silly dog!! Best of luck with the picking and stitching, Deb.

CathieJ said...

I love your quilt helper! I thinkg it is great that you are salvaging that quilt. I can only use a leather thimble. I don't think I could quilt without something. Enjoy your stitching.