Saturday, May 1, 2021

Finishing up blue and starting red at the RSC!

Happy May 1st! Growing up - the first Saturday in May was 'Green Up Day'. A day to pick up all the things accumulating on the side of the roads over the winter and 'Green Up Vermont'. Things are pretty green down in Florida.... you know - without the 5-6 months of snow for things to accumulate under!


I finished up the Full Stop - Asterisks in light blue but did not quite get to the Garden Path blocks. I did start cutting the triangles with my Accuquilt Go! cutter so those will be first on the list for red and I'll tackle them at the same time I think.

As for red - I had started Harmony - a hand piecing sew along with Patti and Kristin earlier this year. My first one I did scrappy blue and white. 


The second was purple and cream. 


This one will be red and white. I got sidetracked when step 3 did not come out to size.... so it got put aside. I pulled it out this week and was able to get the 'Fancy HST's' stitched up. These are my first 3 steps. The group is at the finishing stage in the sew along.  I figured a Red month would be a good time to get it moving along again! Good timing Angela =) I am making the bigger throw size so I'm making 4 of the blocks.

Linking up with the RSC Challenge.

Friday was an interesting day. I headed out to pick up the kids and heard a 'ping' under the car at the stop light. Looked at the dash and a few warning lights were on. I was already late to leave but turned around and headed home to grab the truck keys and let Greg know what happened on the car so he could take a look. It is headed to the dealer this morning. Sigh.

Last night I decided I was sick of the fridge noise (kitchen is open to the living room) so it was time to defrost the bottom part, again. Seems the fridge we purchased from Lowes years ago is a dud. We had the water ice in the door stop for a long time and then the bottom ice stopped. Hubby took it apart and there was ice caked on everything - including in the fan parts - which was the noise then too. Sigh. I think we did this not too long ago- maybe 2-3 months and it needed it again. He tried a tip he found on line this time so we will see how long before it acts up again. We did go looking but $2000+ for a new fridge is crazy! They sure don't make things like they used to. Next time we have to do this he will be fixing the seal.... as that is the next step. I won't mention how many of the door partitions we have had to replace due to cracking... but it is more than 4. The last 'new one' lasted about a month. No, we don't put that much heavy stuff in there - just a bad design and sub par materials I think.


12 comments:

scraphappy said...

Great plans for red. I am amazed at how many new refrigerators we have had to buy over the years. Getting them fixed always seems to cost more than it is worth, but boy the new ones are so expensive! Hope that you can limp along with yours for a while longer. The blue and purple quilts are both beautiful! Looking forward to seeing the red.

Julierose said...

Boy, aren't all appliances sky high in price these days?!! ;000
We got lucky with our new LG fridge...so far so good (saying this quietly as I don't want to jinx it!!)
I love your hand sewn quilts--so lovely...I am still beavering away at my little appliqued basket piece...I did the bird last night (stealing cherries!!)
I am finding this very relaxing to work on and not bad for my shoulder strain...
Hugs for a wonderful weekend Julierose

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Looks like May is the perfect month to work in your Harmony blocks! Frustrating about both the car and the fridge, too. Your fridge has given you more than its fair share of trouble. I'm glad your hubby is handy and can fix things like that.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

We had so much trouble with a refrigerator before the current and finally got rid of it and got this "new" one about 5 years ago - we have had to thaw out an ice jam two times now once last year and then already again this year - they don't make them like they used to for sure - sometimes I think maybe just your basic old refrigerator is best and either make you ice cubes or buy a bag and put in the freezer.
love all your blocks and quilts.

Cathy said...

They say the only sure things are death and taxes, but I think that auto/appliance malfunctions should be added to that short list. So sorry to hear of the troubles you’ve had. But your blocks are so cute!

Kathy S. said...

Can't wait to see more garden path blocks. It's been a week for us quilters, but we are still here muddling through them. Keep going!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Looking forward to seeing the RED scrap projects you will make this month, Deb!!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

What great projects and I am in love with the purple quilt. Looking forward to seeing your red quilty project. Have a great weekend.

Ivani said...

Problems apart,Deb, a red and white quilt seems to be a oerfect start for May.

grammajudyb said...

We’ve had our fridge longer than the 10 years they promised it would last. But 4 years ago when we replaced the flooring we disconnected the ice maker, Its just DH and me, so a $3.00 bag of ice lasts 2 weeks in the winter. Much cheaper than a new fridge or replacing the floor!
Your hand piecing is fabulous! Red and white Harmony will be stunning!

a good yarn said...

You have lots of terrific projects happening. It's always a treat to stop by your blog and see what's keeping you busy. Our first fridge lasted 25 years. Every one since has barely lasted 5 years. Inbuilt obsolescence is frustrating.

Deb said...

I hear you on your fridge issues, the milk jug doors just don't last!
Unfortunately , our model seemed to be discontinued almost immediately so we were never able to replace the shelves! The handle fell off 2 years ago bu the family actually thinks the fridge looks better that way!

Love your reds!
Stay safe and sew on !