Friday, May 28, 2021

May table topper challenge.

 When I looked at the calendar yesterday and realized I had not made my May table topper yet, and the linkup started tomorrow..... I looked around the sewing room to see what I could find. I had to throw out one whole bucket of scraps last week (cat sprayed some - I think I have the culprit and he is seeing the Vet today at 4PM) so I picked through another stack and found a couple of QST blocks. Hmmmm. Looked at the fabric wall and saw a flag print. Possible. Hmmmm a print of yellow with blue and red balloons... potential. I looked a little more and found a little stack of easy breezy blocks. I started making them and then for some reason that stalled. Well, there were a couple with some red in it - what if I sewed a bunch together to make a placemat with them. To make it reversible I cut out some of the flag print for the backing. Then the decision on a binding..... hmmmm pulled a few bits leftover but opted for a darker blue which would go with both the front and the back. As time was an issue - without checking how to do it properly, especially the corners I actually sewed the binding on by machine. I think I'll actually watch a how to video next time before attempting it but.... it is done and I'm calling it good. It will be used for my lunch later today to test it out. It came out 16 x 12 ish.


Front




Back


Linking up with Joy and the Table Scraps Challenge.

7 comments:

Paulette said...

Way to go using up those scraps! Very nice little mat, and smart of you to test it out right away! ;) Hope the trip to the vet goes smoothly and your cat is back to good health soon.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Excellent use of those scrappy Easy Breezy blocks, Deb!! Thanks for pulling your TABLE SCRAPS Challenge entry out of thin air. Fast and fabulous for the WIN! (Sorry about the lost scrap basket and I hope Mr. Naughty Kitty's vet visit goes OK.)

Julierose said...

What a cute tabletopper you were able to make...I love that flag print on the reverse side...nice work hugs, Julierose

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Quick work putting those Easy Breezies together for the front, and the flag print makes a great backing, too! I think you've made a fun placemat, and it will get a lot of use!

Ivani said...

It is done and your placemat is pretty cool, Deb.
Lovely use of small Eazy Breazy blocks!

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Very nice - great way to use the Easy Peasy block and love the Flag back! Hugs

grammajudyb said...

I’ve been mulling over a purple table runner/placemat/something for June! I love purple, but it doesn’t really go in my house! Well in my sewing room, but there is not an empty flat surface that needs a topper!! haha! Now I know what to do with my “stalled out” Easy Breezy blocks! Thanks a bunch for the inspiration!