Saturday, May 29, 2021

Saturday in red

 I have been concentrating on the graduation quilt this week with pops of red. I still need to make a couple of my red blocks for the month... but it is a long holiday weekend for me so I should be able to knock those off while in the sewing room working on finishing this quilt into a top.

15 blocks completed of 24 for the graduation quilt - disappearing 9 patch. Even the cat toy was red in the upper left hand corner!


Linking up with the RSC Challenge.

I took one cat to the vet yesterday and the other goes next week. I got him the annual shots we were late on. No real help on the aggression issue that started late Wednesday night (my normal vet was out so I went to the other one in the office). They did recommend a plug in that calms cats and helps deter aggressive behavior, peeing outside the box and scratching.  Who knew they had such a thing? This is the  spray. 

I'm happy to say there was no hissing, yowling and chasing last night, but the boys are still not acting like they did for 3 years. A tolerable truce right now but they are not friendly toward each other at all. Separately, they each purr and love petting and attention. I got one of the plug ins and have more on order and a spray coming. 

I saw a great deal yesterday at a local grocery store - pork shoulder for 99 cents a pound with card! They were huge - I got the smallest at 18.72 pounds. $72 down to $18 and change was too good of a deal to pass up. It was cut into a 10 pound and 8.72 pound portion all packaged in one sealed pouch. The bigger portion barely fit in my oval crock pot but it got made into Carnitas yesterday and overnight. I sealed 4 family size bags for the deep freezer and have a large glass container filled for the weekend meals (carnitas and cuban sandwiches) and grazing. Emily and I might have taste tested last night before bed and she had a bowl for breakfast this morning! The other portion will go into the crockpot later today once I pick up honey for the pulled pork recipe. I expect similar containers for the freezer from that portion - so at least 10 family meals of meat.... not to mention leftovers. =). I got to use some math skills - I had to double and a half the carnita recipe and triple the pulled pork recipe - based on the pork size. 
Off to horses today with the girl then pool time. It might be warm enough for me now and if not... the mid 90 temp and feels like higher should get me in there for a bit.



9 comments:

Ray and Jeanne said...

The graduation quilt is looking great! What a deal on pork shoulder! You really scored! ~Jeanne

LA Paylor said...

well something happened between the cats... we don't speak felinish.
or like me do they now have covid exhaustion?
Milo picks up on my moods... anyone at home having stress out of the usual?

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

The graduation quilt blocks are coming along just great! Sounds like you'll take good advantage of the long weekend! Hope you solve the cat problem, too. Enjoy your yummy-sounding meals and stocking that freezer, too.

Julierose said...

You are really moving right along with the graduation quilt--which is just lovely!!
We are in a spate of cold, raw and rainy days right now...it feels like February out there!! ugh!!
Enjoy your long weekend hugs, Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have saved both recipes sound good to me!

Ivani said...

Beautiful blocks for a Graduation quilt.

a good yarn said...

Great combination of colours and pattern for the graduation quilt. That pork was a steal!

Susie H said...

Even if not ideal, I'm glad the kitties have called a truce. I pulled the carnitas recipe, thanks for the link! The graduation quilt is definitely off to good start!

Chantal said...

Love your disappearing 9-Patch quilt. Black and red seem to be a popular combo lately, haha. I had no idea there was a spray for aggressive behavior. The things they do these days. Hope they get along again soon. ;^)