Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Vermont, does not want me to go!

I think I snapped this on Friday or Saturday morning. A peaceful shot of the lake.

Friday, all my siblings and a few nieces and nephews gathered to celebrate (again, as I missed the sibling dinner out with my parents on their actual 60th wedding anniversary June 15th) their anniversary at The Charlemont restaurant in Morrisville. 19 of us were gathered. One was the photographer for us.




Saturday, we headed to the local Mountaineers baseball game (college aged kids playing in a league) where they were honoring a local legend - Louis 'Crip' Polli who played in the MLB back in the 30's and 40's. He and his wife lived 2 doors down from where my Dad grew up. He passed in 2000 at age 99. It was a very hot night and muggy at the ball game.



Sunday, we had some visits from my sister and brother and one of my nieces. When it started raining, only my brother David and his wife Donna stayed as we were playing cards. We moved onto Michigan Rummy and then taught them Domino's. Turns out, my Mom really likes playing Domino's. We might have been playing the last 2 days! The rain kept falling all of Monday and as of this morning we had one tick shy of 8.5 inches of rain. It made things quite exciting as we were to leave on Monday morning. Instead, I was stringing rope around 2 different trees to tie up the boat after I unhooked it from the dock. My brother drove out  (drove through a covered road that was closed right after!) and helped to anchor it as well with a cement block and then the kids added 5 cement blocks onto the dock to keep it in place. As you can see from this mornings photo - completely under water including the pipes! As of noon - the pipes at the end of the dock and now visibale above water. 



It did make for easy access into the kayak to paddle and check out how others fared around the lake.

This morning - those are the middle poles on the dock and the top of the railing to the steps.

A shot looking back at Emily as she got her kayak into the lake.

The beach was under water up to the wooden fence. 

Barre and Montpelier are under water. My siblings houses there (3 of them) are up high and are fine as is my parents home. My other sister is in Marshfield and she is currently stranded but the house is fine. The bridge at the bottom of her hill is washed out and the road from her area to Montpelier in one direction is washed out. The other direction to Cabot was under water. There will be lots of roads to fix after this storm all over the state. At least the interstate is open again. It was closed yesterday afternoon until this morning with water over the road near Montpelier. At that point - either way out to head home was blocked. Technically, I can get out now but I'll make sure the water is headed down and the parents are good through today and will head home tomorrow.  

 

8 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

And I thought we were getting a lot of rain! I hope you were able to get out and on your way this morning. It has looked like a wonderful trip, aside from the rain and flooding. Safe travels!

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

When I seen the flood photos on the news today--I wondered if it was near you and if you were okay--so thanks for letting us know--stay safe--
hugs and prayers, di

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

So glad that you were able to enjoy time with your family. I wish you a very safe trip home.

Julierose said...

We heard about the floods up there--happy to hear that you and your family fared okay...we had 4.4 inches..more than we've had in years!!
Sounds like you've had a wonderful visit with your family...
have a safe trip home...hugs, julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I was thinking of you and another blogger I am in touch with from Barre - she is up on a hill and is ok but yes the town doesn't sound so good - glad you brother was able to help you out with the boat - be careful heading home tomorrow - more rain coming the news said.

Ray and Jeanne said...

I've been watching your weather - ugh! Glad you and your family are all safe. We are getting much needed rain today but nothing like you've seen. Take care and have a good, safe trip home. ~Jeanne

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Glad all are OK. You can send that rain down here - we are really in a drought and horrible heat wave - Yesterday 112! And that is South Texas. Take care getting home.

Florida Farm Girl said...

Dang, I forgot you were up in Vermont! Sure hope things start to dry out so that recovery can begin. Gonna be a long haul and I wish everyone there the best of luck.