Wednesday, July 26, 2023

Wednesday

 I kinda did something stupid yesterday. The weeds have taken over everywhere and the ones poking out by the entrance to the front door were driving me nuts..... so I kinda pulled some of them yesterday morning after dropping Emily to school. Yup, big mistake. I don't think I got much sleep last night cause no matter which way I turned, my back hurt. I did wake up ok with Ollie cats butt against my hurting back spot so I must have slept for a few hours early this morning. I last remember seeing 3:40 on the clock. I think his weight and warmth against it helped. 

The advil has kicked in and I was able to get up from my chair at work without issues for lunch, so that is a positive! I did my normal walk out to see the chickens and collected an egg. I got 2 yesterday and none the day before. The dog likes to go out around this time with me and explore a bit. 

I have not made much progress with any sewing projects, but I did find these two things.

My pattern and fabrics for the Christmas Cactus Wreath - that I'll plan to do as part of an unbegun challenge this last half of the year. My 'hope' is to have it done and ready to display on the kitchen wall for the month of December. It is a 60x60 quilt.

I also found a charm pack of these reds to make my split nines for the RSC this week. I think I need to make 8 blocks to get my quota for the month. I cut some of the charms into 2.5x5 inch strips. 


There is also the ABC Table Scrap Challenge for the weekend. I have not started it, but I have an idea! The letters are A and G to go with the red for the month of July.  I am hoping to see some apples in my future. Come back Saturday to hear how that adventure goes!

Yesterday we had some good thunderstorms roll through late morning. An unusual time for storms to go through - normally we get the late afternoon ones with the Atlantic and gulf breezes mixing in the afternoon above central Florida for a quick storm to cool things down a tad. This storm was intense and close. It knocked the pin from the transformer across the street which left us without power for a couple of hours. The dog notified me someone was 'out there', so I walked out and checked it out. It was not raining at that point and just a little thunder in the distance. It was neat watching him use the tools from the ground to knock the bad switch off and attach the new one. Just like that, the power was back on! Which means the internet came back and then I had to continue working! It was a nice 2 hour break snuggling with this one who thinks he is a lap dog. Did you know, those new fangled recliners that require electricity to work.... don't work very well when the power is out? I was trying to find a comfortable way to sit and this recliner has the old school handle, so I was using this one and the dog decided to jump up and join me. 




5 comments:

Julierose said...

So sorry to hear about your back!! It's so hard to find any comfortable position when that happens...
that cactus pattern looks interesting--but challenging with all those points!!
hoping you are feeling better...take care and move slowly;)))
hugs, Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

hmmm chairs that have to be plugged in! I think I will pass on that kind :) Sorry your back hurts - I remember years ago using the cat as a heating pad for cramps lol - it helped.

Ray and Jeanne said...

So sorry to hear about your back problems - sure hope you are feeling better every hour. I can't wait to see the Cactus Christmas Wreath - it sounds interesting. ~Jeanne

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Oh, I am sorry you hurt your back again! I can't leave weeds be, either. Hope it gets better again for you. It will be fun to see your Christmas Cactus Wreath, and the Table Scraps project, too!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Yes, so sorry you injured your back, Deb. It's a full body ache which is the worse. I have to be careful with the constant bending when weeding so I try to stay seated on my little step stool as much as possible. How nice to have a special heating pad! Oh that Christmas Cactus Wreath will be awesome. Working with scraps...using them up is so satisfying.