Sunday, March 31, 2024

Happy Easter!

 We had a nice non-traditional Easter meal today with Grandma. Aidan worked to get the Big Green Egg back into working order and it is now up on some cement blocks to stabilize it and make it a nice level height to use. 

The kids cooked salmon on the grill last night for dinner and today Aidan was the grill master and cooked up some burgers and brats for our lunch with Grandma. It is a lovely partly cloudy 80 degrees today and right now Greg and the kids are outside in the back yard. The chickens are roaming free while they move the cage run attached to their coop run a little as they have dug up all the grass and made plenty of craters to take dust baths in. With the hawks around and the dog, it is safer for them to be in their safe area most of the time. The dog is inside with me watching those chickens and wanting to be outside with them!


Now that our company is gone, I'm going to relax with a little stitching. This purple chicken needs a red comb appliqued to it's top and then some simple quilting and a binding to finish it off. The pattern is from Sew Inspired but since I messed up how I placed the big rectangle mine is a little different.


This month I want to make progress on my Brimfield Awakening project. I have various charm packs that I will be using for this but I need to decide how I'll lay them out. Until then, I'll keep making the parts and then decide how the colors will flow on them. 


I did get one of the cats hand quilted this week. Each cat will be quilted differently. I think the next one will have circles or swirls after I get it outlined. 



I do love a prime rib (only the girl is with me on this one in my house - so I just have to fight her for it!) and since it is on sale now with the holiday, I got another one yesterday. It cooked up today and this is how it looks when I pulled it out of the oven. It is resting now, then I'll cut it into slices (the bones were cut off and tied back on by the butcher - those get sealed and frozen for soups!) and will seal a meal them and freeze them. Emily and I will pull them out for a quick dinner (her) or to add on top of salads for lunches (me). It will be gone by the end of June. This one was an 8 pounder. The last one never made it to the freezer and the remains are a beef barley soup in the fridge. 



4 comments:

Julierose said...

That Prime rib roast looks so scrumptious--you get a lot of meals from those for sure!!:)))
Our company has left, too.(Steven has to get back to Boston for work tomorrow --my eldest grandson) and my son and family are over at my DIL's for a late supper visit...
This year Jeff (my son) made his "famous" wings and brought some munchies too...very non-traditional here, too. Easy peasy...

We are resting after all this activity that we are so no longer used to here.
A bit of hand quilting for me...
I love those kitties--such an adorable pattern...hugs, Julierose

a good yarn said...

Well done Aidan. What’s traditional for Easter for your family? That prime rib looks delicious. Your chicken block looks fine. There’s alway one chicken in the coop that’s a bit different from the others. That Brimfield pattern is gorgeous.

Jenny said...

Cook salmon on the BBQ, sounds delicious. Happy Easter to you and your family.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I wish I had someone to grill for me - I don't really care to grill but like that food