Saturday, March 30, 2024

RSC Wrapping up Purple.

 It was a pretty productive month in purple. Some Arkansas Traveler blocks, some hand applique Sting of Beads blocks and some chicken blocks. 


This guy needs a red comb added by applique and then some quilting to finish him off as the challenge for the month. The cold I have had for a week is kicking my butt the last couple of days so it is not quite done yet. The challenge was purple and birds. Well, a chicken is a bird! I hope to get this guy finished tonight, so I can link up with Joy tomorrow. 

Note to self, pay attention to the way you lay out the big rectangle before sewing the two bottom parts on. The first one I had the long part side to side. I seem to have swapped that when doing the other 4 so I had to make some modifications to make it work. It will all work in the final scrappy quilt.... that just allows for some alternate space things... like eggs! I might unpick the two on the right and add a 3-d comb to those as well. I was going to leave them as babies as it takes a bit for the red combs to come out and get bigger, but I like the look with the comb better.



Linking up with the RSC on Saturday.

After sleeping in (10:30!), I have been moving slowly today. I did go get some groceries - the boy decided to go with to pick out snacks and their salmon for dinner. He now has his license as of last week and has driven himself to his guitar lesson without anyone else in the car this week. He drove today as well. Only Grandma is coming over tomorrow for Easter as my step-FIL is not feeling well with a cold and my FIL doesn't like to stray from home anymore. Since the kids are not too crazy about ham, and Grandma and Greg don't care, I offered an alternate meal and everyone liked that better. So, we will be having Brats and Burgers on the Big Green Egg tomorrow. We have not used the Big Green Egg in a while, so Aidan opened it up and got it burning hot last night to clear things out. He'll clean the grill grate tonight and has already scraped out all the old charcoal and bits out so we can put some fresh in. They are going to cook the salmon on the grill tonight for them. I'll be making some soup with the prime rib bones - some beef and vegetable barley I think. I might have picked up another Prime Rib from Publix today.... to cook off tomorrow and then seal a meal slices for the freezer. 



5 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those chicken blocks are adorable! It will be fun to see how you finish them up. I love salmon on the grill - yum! But soup sounds good, too. Happy Easter!

a good yarn said...

Wishing you a speedy recovery from that nasty cold. The chicken blocks are cute! Beef and barley soup sounds really good.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

we do not do anything special for Easter anymore - your idea of non traditional meal sounds good to me.

Sara said...

The chicken blocks are so cute! Very whimsical. We didn't do anything special for Easter this year either. Both daughters' families just needed a day at home to relax as they've been running ragged with work, kids, etc since Christmas. We do non-traditional for Christmas every year with a big seafood feast. And my husband would be happy if I suggested burgers and brats for any meal. LOL

Susie H said...

Love those chickens! And purple chickens at that! I spatchcocked a chicken for our Easter dinner. We'll be getting a ham luncheon at the senior center this week though too and then again at the club on Friday night. Easter Dinner Week around here! Lol!