Thursday, October 12, 2023

Thursday

 Well, the phone call at 2:44 indicating a tornado warning and seek shelter immediately, really wakes you up! I grabbed my phone and checked the radar. Nothing right near us so I just kept my eye on it and let everyone sleep. We have a watch until 9 and it sounds like that might come back later today as well.  It is hot and humid here (I much preferred the cooler temps earlier this week), and I hear the occasional thunder and some heavy rain right now. The kids are being taken to school. We will see if the boy is late for the zero-period class or not. He is a little excited, he gets to use his umbrella today! I know, I have weird kids. Looks like he gets to use it at pick up today as well. 

I tried a new recipe last night that was in my Pampered Chef Quick Cooker (pressure cooker). We have never had polenta and I wanted to give it a try. I could not find the instant that the recipe called for, so picked up the small bag of coarse cornmeal at Publix and hoped for the best. It turned out pretty good. 3 of 3 people that tried it said I could make it again... but I need to add salt and pepper and maybe use the beef bouillon in the fridge to add some extra flavor to the broth. The polenta really didn't have much flavor, despite adding butter and parmesan cheese at the end. I think that needed a little salt before putting it into the pressure cooker as well.  I was pretty excited to finally use the ceramic insert for the polenta! Maybe I'll try the cheesecake recipe this weekend?



The dog is just staring at me... wanting to know why I am not taking him for his walk this morning. Silly boy, he doesn't like to go outside in the rain. Now, if that water comes from a hose or sprinkler - he is attacking the water. 

I have today off! Yea! I know Greg and I will pop over and see his Dad in rehab. It sounds like his attitude was better on Tuesday when Greg went from Sunday. If I get moving this morning.... I hope to get a bunch of things done today but we will see what happens. I'd like to do a little cleaning of the house... ok, not like, but need as I have been neglecting the vacuum and dusting lately. I also need to put out my fall things! In the sewing room - I have a few split nines that need making - I know a set of 4 yellows and 2 sets of the aqua. I'm not sure what I will be doing for the RSC for the light neutrals. Maybe I'll just toss some browns in this month and do black/grey next month? We will see. I'd also like to get a quilt pinned for machine quilting. 
I guess I better grab a shower and get dressed while there is a lull in the rain storms. Looks like we have another one coming in the next 30 minutes. Quick shower time! 

Edited... I did just fix the lamb. He had an opening on his neck that needed surgery to fix. He was happy, but is still pouting about no walk.


4 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

my sisters and I laugh at Polenta being popular now as it was always "cornmeal mush" to us. Mom would make it for breakfast cereal when the cupboard was bare for the poor family we grew up in. Now it is "Polenta" as it if is something unusual. Truthfully I never really liked it you have to really add a bit of seasoning to it to make it tasty. For breakfast we added sugar or syrup plus milk.

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

what a cute photo of the dog and lamb--that is a keeper!!
we have stayed pretty calm over here--got some rain late last night and a quick shower with some wind a bit ago!!
opps--it's raining again now!!!
hugs, di

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Hope your weather has calmed down as the day has gone on! A tornado alert at 2 in the morning would not be conducive to going back to sleep, that's for sure. It's always fun to experiment with new foods - sometimes you'll make it again, but sometimes not!

The Joyful Quilter said...

NOT a fun way to be woken, Deb! Glad the storm didn't materialize into anything bad. You make some really interesting recipes!