Sunday, October 1, 2023

Sunday

 It has been a week! Not a single foot has been set into the sewing area. I have added some slow stitches into the Bear Paw quilt though. I just have three X's to stitch before I move the hoop to the next block.  It popped up in my memories on Facebook that I started quilting on this about this time last year. It has been bumped for various projects over the year, but it is very happy to be worked on right now.


Next weekend I will be facilitating a station at Sisters Retreat on Saturday. This is an adult weekend. They asked for a 'taster' on quilting. I figured that would be a good way to show how to hand stitch a little. I'm using what materials they have and will be showing how to hand stitch a four patch and then finish it into a little coaster. I did this one as an example a while back, but I might make it simpler and just do one without the binding as well and give them the option. I still need to make a page handout of photos and instructions, but I did share this link with the coordinator to add to the main handouts. Patty did some great tutorials over at Elm Street Quilts when they ran the 3 hand piecing quilt along a few years ago. I will probably bring a few quilts I have done with all hand piecing and hand quilting to show as well. 


I forget which hospital I snapped this picture at, I'm thinking the one at the Villages last Sunday when I was visiting my FIL.  We are hoping he will be released Tuesday to rehab after 4 weeks in the hospital. He finally got transferred last Tuesday to another hospital where they could do some procedures to find the internal bleeding. That appears to be better now, so a procedure to finish getting some of the bigger stones out of his kidneys on Monday and then he'll be off to rehab. He is very weak and not able to walk to the door of his room so lots of recovery.
 My Dad up north had a minor heart attack on Tuesday, but he is doing well. Lots of waiting for a bed in a different hospital where they can do the heart cath procedure. He finally got a bed on Friday and is doing well. Hopeful for his procedure to be Monday and then he can be released home. Thankful for all my siblings up north coordinating seeing him and getting my Mom up to see him and supporting her. My hubby is exhausted from the daily rides to see his Dad. The new hospital is quite a way's away from us. We pushed for a rehab facility that is about 5 minutes away from us so that will be wonderful for the next, I'm guessing - few months for him to be there as he regains his strength.


Linking up with Kathy and the Slow Sunday Stitchers where we use hand stitching as therapy. 


7 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I hope your FIL will be at the rehab closer to you - it is exhausting when you have to drive long distances to visit. Glad your dad seems to be doing better too

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

All that goes with having a parent with a health problem is exhausting - I know from first hand experience! I do hope all the procedures for both Grandpas go smoothly and they get back home (or closer to home!) soon. It's so good to have a little hand stitching to work on at times like these. Definitely show your hand-pieced projects at the retreat - they will be so impressed!

Quilter Kathy said...

I understand completely the challenge of loving and supporting elderly parents. It is a privilege and sometimes very stressful. Hand stitching is the best therapy! Hope you enjoy the retreat and that lots of folks show interest in learning!

Karrin Hurd said...

Hope your FIL and father get their procedures/therapy to allow them to return home.

CathieJ said...

Oh my, you and your husband are really in the thick of it. I hope your father-in-law recovers his strength quickly in rehab. So glad your siblings are coordinating for your father. Prayers and hugs for you, your husband and family members.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

I am so sorry to hear that your dad and FIL have been ill. I wish them a very speedy recovery and will keep them in my prayers. Wishing you and your family a better week. Hugs

Jenny said...

Oh dear, you are having a bad time with both your Dad and FIL in hospital, my thoughts are with you. I do hope it all works out well with both of them.