Sunday, January 14, 2024

Slow Sunday Stitching

 Sunday is the day we are encouraged to slow down, take a deep breath and do some slow stitching. I want to thank Kathy for encouraging us every year by hosting this wonderful Slow Sunday Stitching link up

I took the final stitches last night on the third hand pieced Harmony block, from a sew along back in 2021 with Patty Dudek and Kristin Esser. 


This is the first 3 blocks all together. They each finish at 28 inches square. I did find some of the parts for the last block and have them moved to their baggie. I need to cut out some parts that are missing so it will be all set to pick up this week and make some progress. 



A new project for me this year with the RSC (Saturday link up with Angela), is doing some orange peel needle turned applique. I did this quite a few years ago (2015+2016) and made this one that I call hugs and kisses. Needle turned applique and hand quilted. I had a lot of car line time! I could get a few done each day!


 This time I will be doing a block called String of Beads. I saw a quilt of this in green and purples back in the 90's and loved it. I think I will use a consistent green in the outer 4 peels and then the color of the RSC Challenge for the 4 inner peels each month. I'm thinking I want a 60x60 quilt to hang on the wall, so I'll need 25 blocks for a square... or more for a rectangle. My template fits the photo perfectly!

I've been working on getting this one ready for assembly. It was hand pieced (not epp) and hand appliqued down to the black background back in 2014 and 2015. I finished the last block I needed for a 12x14 layout this week and laid it out for machine piecing Saturday. 


So a little machine work and then prep work for the last Harmony block is on my agenda today. Oh, I need to search for a green for those string of beads blocks as well. I have a fabric in mind, but I'm not sure I have enough for the year. Plenty to keep me busy on a 3 day weekend! 





13 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love String of Beads, I saw that some time ago somewhere and never made it.

Rose Marie said...

Oh, lovely projects!

Gretchen Weaver said...

The Harmony blocks is beautiful! The String of Beads is a perfect hand applique project. I love the hexie flowers! This quilt is going to be so awesome! Happy stitching!

Karrin Hurd said...

Beautiful projects you are working on, all of them!

Julierose said...

Lovely projects--I'm looking forward to seeing "String of Beads"..
Hugs, Julierose

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

I love all those projects--but especially love the hexie flower one--love all those bright colors--keep that needle flyin--
hugs, di

Deanna W said...

Orange peels are on my bucket list too and even the string of pearls quilt. I have a pattern that I bought after seeing a pic in a magazine years before. so exciting. I admire that you are hand piecing the Harmony blocks...it is coming together beautifully.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Love seeing your Harmony take shape! It's going to be beautiful. Your older orange peel quilt is wonderful, too - I love the different shapes they can make. I didn't realize your hexie flowers were hand-pieced. Did you turn the outside edges under when you appliqued them to the black? Hope you're having a great Sunday!

Kim said...

Your String of Beads quilt sounds lovely. I love quilts with orange peel applique. Your quilt dancing with hexies is lovely.

Anonymous said...

So many beautiful hand stitching projects! Those large blocks have lots of pieces and look great together! Happy stitching! Gail at the Cozy Quilter

CathieJ said...

The black floral quilt is beautiful. I like the idea of using the RSC colors within a connecting green. I look forward to watching your progress. Enjoy your work on the Harmony block.

Angie said...

Deb - I love the flowers on the black background - it looks like a veritable greenhouse! Have a super week!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I love orange peel quilts and String of Beads will be beautiful. And that Harmony block is so pretty and dainty looking. Lovely projects, Deb.