Thursday, January 18, 2024

Thursday update

 I spent much too much time working on my day off today. I did get my walk with the dog, my riding lesson and was able to pull Aidan from school for his orthodontist appointment. Not a bit of sewing or prepping yet today.  I'll add a few stitches into Harmony after I finish this post.

I decided I needed help coming up with recipes for meals this year, so everyone gets a week to come up with a few meal ideas. Some went with tried and true and some went with new things. 

Greg had his Birthday week which was back on the 11th. He mentioned tacos and my Mom's spaghetti meat sauce. I added meatloaf one night that week as well. A leftover night and a take out from Pig and Cattle (birthday boy choice).  I had gotten a roaster chicken Saturday at Sams that week after picking up a kid from volunteering at a robotics tournament. It was dinner that night and chicken chili the next night. There were no leftovers of the chili! I guess they liked it on a cool night. The corn bread disappeared as well!

This week was Emily's ideas. Aidan had picked out pork chops at Sams, so I have 3 meals of them sealed in the freezer and some were cooked Monday night with garlic mashed potato and peas. Tuesday was Emily's selection of Pepper Steak, which I had peppers that needed using. It was good and added to the rotation. I had gone to the Farmers Market Saturday and got some eggplant and brussels sprouts. I had brussels sprouts and bacon one day for lunch. Wednesday, I did an eggplant parmesan for dinner and Em and Greg made pasta and finished off the spaghetti sauce. Tonight, Aidan was a big help cooking while I prepped Emily's second recipe of the week - Japanese Chicken Curry. Who knew they did curry in Japan? I read up a bit on it and it turns out it is a common meal there! We even had the curry roux in the international aisle at the store! It took a good hour to make it and we had it with the recommended rice. We all agreed it was really good and we should make it again. Aidan didn't like the carrots in it, but I thought they were really good. There is enough for another meal. It is not spicy at all, more like a savory/slightly sweet stew over rice.  Aidan is looking at recipes from the Georgia/Polish regions. We will see what he comes up with. 

While trimming the skin on bone in chicken thighs for the recipe tonight, I threw those extra parts into the crock pot with some water, onion, carrot, celery and garlic with some frozen parsley stems. A little salt and pepper and thyme and it is in the crock pot for the night on low to make some broth. Some sort of soup will be made this weekend with it as a cold front goes through. I'm thinking potato leek, but we will see. Maybe a Zuppa Toscana? I'll see what I feel like tomorrow or Saturday.


Harmony - I cut and pieced these twisted triangles a couple of nights ago, the only tricky one to piece in this project. I had a set of 4 of the other parts needed, except one of the houses with the triangles at the top. One of those stacks only has 3. I made 4 based on my blog post in 2021, so I have no clue where he is hiding. I'll cut out another one tomorrow to stitch up this weekend. I can begin making the other 3 corners, so I'll work on that tonight. 



Time to stitch!


4 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

you are lucky you get ideas on what to make and others take turns cooking as well. I sure wish my husband would do that. Sounds like you had a very busy day

Julierose said...

Great to have menu planners!! Funny you should mention that, as Tom and I were just discussing how we have to begin to limit the "big meals" to once or 2x per week. Our aging digestive systems need resting time between.
I have had a nasty tummy bug for about 4 days now...cannot seem to shake it.
I went to my Ginger tea and that helped and I didn't have any dinner last night. Better this morning, but still feeling punky!!
Have fun sewing Harmony...hugs, Julierose

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

You guys always have great meal ideas! That pepper steak sounds yummy - I'm going to have to put that on my list. Your triangle pieces for Harmony look good - one more step along the way!

The Joyful Quilter said...

So smart to get the family involved in menu planning, Deb! It's such a stress relief, too. Right? More information on that curry paste, please.