Saturday, June 12, 2021

Saturday RSC in purple

I have been in avoidance and so not really sewing. The graduation quilt is to the point of needing long borders attached. I really dislike cutting and sewing long seams. I may remeasure.... is it really needed? Sigh. Since I am not letting myself sew other things until that gets done, pinned and machine quilted not much has happened this week. It will get tackled this weekend however - it is mid month and the kids will be overnight at Grandma's to head to the car races tonight.

A few more purple hexagons were added this week and a slew more were prepped. 


The purple Erin's butterfly was made and basted. While out with Emily we picked up a background fabric for these - it is a big white dot on white. I need to figure out the size to cut for applique. It recommends 12.5 but that is really tight with them filling out the whole block so I might go with 14.5 or 15 with extra space around them.


I pulled out the hearts I made last year - hand applique from a charm pack. That left some interesting cuts leftover which I started sewing together. I think I'll cut out that middle that is created and the rest might go into a crumb block of some sort. I believe I have some of those around the sewing room somewhere. I can't touch those until the grad quilt is farther along in the process though!


I found some extra blocks and added a purple border on one that will be finished off into a table topper I think. I also sewed four leftover friendship stars together for another little 12 inch block. That one might become a hot mat if I can find that batting in the sewing room!



6 comments:

Cathy said...

In avoiding those long seams, you’re being creative with your scraps! We all hit that wall sometime, only to find a new door!.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I get stuck when it's time for borders, too! You can do this, Deb! I had forgotten about your purple hearts - they're going to make something pretty!

Julierose said...

I am not a fan of long border sewing either--but once they're done I often wonder why it took me so long;000
You have some lovely purple fabrics...hugs, Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

long border sewing is a pain as so often you have to ease in or you have wavy borders - all of your blocks are looking good

Susie H said...

I hate sewing long borders too. So many of my quilts sit around due to me not wanting to sew the borders on. I hope you'll find, like me, that once you dig in it wasn't so bad after all. Let the quilting begin! Hahaha!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Lovely bits of PURPLE, Deb! Want to know something? I thought you might have cut those hearts from a 4-Patch. I never considered that you had sewn the scrap together afterwards.