Wednesday, September 13, 2023

Chaos....

I swear, every time I head to Vermont in September, my FIL lands in the hospital! Greg is insisting it should not affect my travel plans. So, I am still planning to fly tomorrow up to my nieces wedding while he and the kids stay home. 
My FIL's neighbor called to let us know there was emergency vehicles (ambulance and fire truck) at his house yesterday morning. Greg called the house and hospital. Once he was at the hospital, he headed over. It was a long day. Turns out, he fell in the bathroom but was smart enough to phone 911. He was very weak and has no energy. After lots of tests... he has a very bad UTI, is dehydrated and some of his bloodwork is off. The man will be 88 next week and is living on his own, despite being essentially blind in both eyes now - a new development over the last month.  They kept him overnight, since they know they can't release him home alone.
Greg and I have been discussing his living situation for the last few years and a lot more the last month as his eyesight is failing. He did not want to move in. Now he is a little more open to the idea. I have a feeling I will be packing up my sewing area and the office in the finished garage soon, and that might become his new space. We will see how things progress, but the first step is getting the infection cleared and his energy back. I'm hoping for a few weeks in rehab so I have some time to clear out rooms and figure out a new office space. We do have an interim plan in mind in case rehab does not happen. 

I had this stack of cutoff triangles leftover from making the Christmas Cactus Wreath. I trimmed them and pressed them on Sunday. I don't know what they will become, but they will be a little leader and ender pile next to the sewing machine this month.

 


5 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Oh, Deb - that sounds just like my mom in September of 2020. I hadn't heard from her in a day or two, so I called her and she answered from the ER! Shortly after that we convinced her to move from Arizona back here to Colorado. You are so kind to offer for him to move in with you! I hope they do have him go to rehab for awhile - he will be weak and need a lot of extra help for awhile after this. Sending good thoughts.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it is rough when an elderly parent needs help and doesn't always want it. There are a lot of us that would have had our mom move in with us but she was in a wheelchair so needed a special place and had to move to assisted living which worked out good for her. Whatever you decide will be an adjustment for him and possibly all of you. Have fun at the wedding.

Julierose said...

That is so tough, Deb--feeling like you need to be in two places at the same time!! I hope your FIL recovers and will agree to better living conditions now that he is 88....Sorry that you may lose your sewing area...I've been in the same spot a few years ago now....hope all goes well for your flight and you can enjoy yourself...hugs, Julierose

Ray and Jeanne said...

Dealing with aging parents is really tough for all parties.. I hope your plan works out and in the meantime that you can enjoy your trip north. ~Jeanne

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Interesting refix on that appliqued block in your last post, Deb.
Meanwhile, oh dear. This is it and it just might be time for more help for your FIL for sure. His situation does sound scary. I hope he will be amiable to whatever the family decides. He will be in good hands if he lands with you, that I know. Hope you get your trip in too.