Saturday, September 2, 2023

RSC - Teal kites

 A 3 day weekend! Horses got moved to Sunday this weekend, so the kids headed to Grandma's to help run errands and do a few things around her yard for her. We'll go collect them later today.

The dog got a walk this morning - he didn't pull which is good! He has not been walked this week at all.  I think he knows if he pulls, he doesn't get a walk. Emily is on tap tomorrow to get up and out of bed for his walk. I watched F1 qualifying with Aidan while adding a few stitches to the Frosty's. I have 5 of the 12 crosshatch quilted. I machine quilted the sashing and cornerstones earlier this summer and already added the binding. I really spritzed well and have not had an issue this time with the blue lines reappearing. I hope to get the 6th one quilted tonight while watching Harry Potter. It is September... so I watched the first movie last night. I've seen them so many times, it is nice to listen to while hand quilting.

I tried something new for lunch. I had picked up these frozen falafel's at Aldi's a few weeks ago. I popped them in the oven and made some tzatziki. I had a nice salad with 3 falafel's, tzatziki and hummus. Boy, those babies had a little kick with the red pepper flakes in there. Good, but spicy. I had to get more tzatziki to tone it down. I'll have to pick up another package and have it for dinner some night and see if the kids like it. I still have 9 left in the fridge.


I took a look in the block container and saw I am doing kites and split nines. I was in the mood to make the kites today so got the Accuquilt out and some teals and added 2 blocks. I'm using the 8 inch cube so I believe these are 8 inch blocks. 



We really didn't get any issues from hurricane Idalia, but boy have we gotten storms the last two days! It was a deluge when I went to go get Aidan from school yesterday afternoon. I was nearly to school, going on a road through the greenway with beautiful overhanging trees.... and right before I got there - probably within a few minutes, a tree came down and a truck swerved to miss it and hit a car! The road was blocked. It was still pouring but someone had gotten out to check on them. I turned around and headed the other way to the school. (I am not good with blood at all!)  I saw the ambulance and fire truck heading there a few minutes later as I was heading back, so I knew it was under control. I hope they were ok. I picked up a very soaked boy and headed home. We had a moat at the house! A couple of the roads had flooding on part of the road, but we could get through. This is the edge of our front yard looking out at the busy 2 lane road. The water was over the driveway as well.  It was gone a couple of hours later when I headed to go get Emily. The football game was cancelled, since they were to play Crystal River and they got flooding with the hurricane and will make it up later. The band had a practice, since they got cancelled with school letting out Monday and cancelling all after school activities due to the approaching hurricane. The Atlantic is very busy right now and there is another disturbance forming off the coast of Africa. Just a normal September in Florida!


Linking up with the RSC.



6 comments:

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

I so love that Christmas Cactus Wreath Deb. Wow we heard a lot about the hurricane and nowadays it seems we are happy to hear it is just flooding as such. It seems these events are getting so much worse and quickly too. But wonderful to read about the happenings there...I remember well the days of stitching or doing school work while waiting for music lessons to end. It's so nice they help out with the older generation too. Good kids.

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Your time was perfect. Too bad it wasn't the same for the other drivers. The teal kites look great with other blocks.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your kites are looking great! Pretty in every color. Glad you didn't get any damage from Idalia, but the storms sound kind of wild. I've never tried Falafel, but your meal sounds tasty!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I hope it won't be a bad storm season for you! I saw the weather yesterday and they were showing so many out in the Atlantic.
The kites look great.

Mari said...

All of your kites are looking great, and your lunch looks yummy. So glad you escaped serious damage from the hurricane!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Sweet AQUA Kite blocks added to the mix, Deb! Thanks for the review of the falafel because I looked and wondered how I missed them last week. I won't be getting them because I can't eat foods that are too spicy. I did get a pack of Naan bread that was nearly as good as homemade after a quick trip through the toaster. Yum!